Friday, May 25, 2012

my modeling career





all photo's taken by budianto nasrun 
i never thought about modeling seriously until friends brought it up over and over again, sparking interest in me enough to start up a profile on model mayhem. i did a few shoots freelance and without pay, building up my portfolio. however, only a few photographers (from what i saw) had real talent in them, so work was difficult to come by. i was looking through all the photographers in vancouver and came across budianto's, immediately sending him a message expressing my interest in doing a shoot.

he agreed and the shoot took place in his little apartment that had no furniture, but was full of photography lights and equipment that must have costed thousands and thousands of dollars. he was very professional and i was impressed for the first time ever. other photographers had made inappropriate comments as if they had never photographed a girl before and i usually left the shoot uncomfortable with photos i wasn't happy with. how could they turn out good when i wasn't comfortable?

budianto works for john casablancas international and invited me to a studio shoot to advertise the website, where carmen walked in. carmen is in charge of model management and watched just as it was my turn to take the spotlight. she was impressed by me (extremely flattering!) and gave me her card to call in for an interview.

since then, i have been with the agency. however, i am the shortest model in the agency and it's hard for work to come by, especially since i work full time and a lot of shoots are during a week day. an agency in china was interested in me but as soon as they saw my height, they said i wasn't tall enough for them.

as frustrating as this is, i do enjoy it very much. i am proud that i am part of an agency despite my height, succeeding after pursuing what i wanted. all in all, this experience is something i will never forget, proof that i can succeed as long as i pursue it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment